2012-09-28

A Quarter Century On - Star Trek: The Next Generation

Today, 2012 09 28, marks the 25th anniversary of the first broadcast of "Encounter At Farpoint," the pilot episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation. This was an event I recall as clearly as if it were yesterday.


I also recall the year of intense anticipation before the launch of the show - round about this time, maybe a little further back, while celebrating 20 years of Star Trek: The Original Series in 1986 (which would put it round September 8 1986 in my recollection) I was at a convention in Leicester, England, when the announcement was first made that Star Trek had been greenlit for a new TV series.

I remember the silence for about ten seconds, followed by the uproar and astonishment and cheers, the joy and the incredible sense of overwhelming optimism.

A year and a bit later, and the same hotel, the same convention crowd, resounded to the same loud cheering when they saw "Enounter At Farpoint" for the very first time.





"Make It So" became an instant hit.

And I remember that day, a quarter century ago, sitting in that Leicester hotel, more than a few tears in my eyes. Damn ... I still remember the damned dialogue. Even the tune Data tries to whistle on the holodeck.

"Pop Goes The Weasel."

Happy Birthday, Next Gen!



No comments:

Post a Comment

"And if we have unearned luck, now to scape the serpent's tongue, we will make amends ere long. Else the Puck a liar call ..."

So speak.