2023-07-29

Dream [Poached from Substack]

Source: https://passingforhuman.substack.com/p/dream


I dreamed I was in a Buddhist monastery. My eyes opened. I’d just had a moment of satori. But everybody else was sitting around with their eyes closed, and I did not wish to disturb them.

So I went out into the courtyard and found some women sweeping the floor.

I told the closest woman that I’d just reached enlightenment. She pointed to a spare broom in the corner of the courtyard.

I got to sweeping, and kept pace with the woman I’d spoken to.

‘How can I describe enlightenment to you?’ I asked her.

‘No need,’ the woman replies. ‘We reach enlightenment all the time. We just don’t tell the men on their little pedestals. Let them struggle to find enlightenment. It keeps them out of the way, so they don’t trip over their robes and cause too much of a mess. Enlightenment is always right here, on the end of this broom.’




No comments:

Post a Comment

"And if we have unearned luck, now to scape the serpent's tongue, we will make amends ere long. Else the Puck a liar call ..."

So speak.