2011-08-03

Like The Waters

I do sometimes ponder the nature of Type A personalities. The ones who have driven themselves. They climb mountains, sail solo across the Atlantic, publish tons of papers, crack the whip as CEOs, turn over millions and boast, boast, boast.

Problem is, I follow principles laid down in Buddhism, with a side order of Taoism and a hefty dash of Stoicism. These philosophies each oppose this Western aggressive, pushy forcefulness. In contrast, my business model is like water. I'll find my own level and conform to the dimensions of my container.

And like water, I am patient. "Water is patient, Adelaide. Water just waits. It wears down the clifftops and the mountains, and the whole of the world. Water always wins."

I've yet to find a business which wants a patient man, a thinker, to work for them. I do my work quietly, and then I go home. I don't need to boast or brag, or expose insecurities to the world. I survive, and my moral core demands loyalty to whoever would employ me.

I just get so tired, some days. Tired of people who do not listen - or worse, who listen to the loudmouths only.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"And if we have unearned luck, now to scape the serpent's tongue, we will make amends ere long. Else the Puck a liar call ..."

So speak.