2013-03-15

A Sonnet - "A Mia Cortigiana Onesta"

 "A Mia Cortigiana Onesta"

As I behold my dearest lover's eyes,
I find myself unable to tear free.
Unable to refuse her ardent plea.
Unable to resist her tender sighs.

Who knows what passion drew my love to me.
Some force of chance that common sense defies,
Some truth of love that came as a surprise.
A lock that crossed the world to find her key.

This burning love which, to my jaded eyes,
Came to my life so swift, so suddenly,
Came with a heart of good, this devotee,
Has healed a heart made hard and cauterised.

Her smiles, her kisses, wipe away my tears.
Her trust, her ardour, banish all my fears.


No comments:

Post a Comment

"And if we have unearned luck, now to scape the serpent's tongue, we will make amends ere long. Else the Puck a liar call ..."

So speak.